Level of study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Laos with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution, including technical colleges.
Awards will be offered for commencement in 2023 within the following allocations:
- Vocational Education and Training (VET): diploma and advanced diploma,
- Masters Degree, and
- Doctorate Degree (PhD).
While applicants may nominate their preferred level of study, the final decision on which level of study to be offered will be determined by the selection panel.
Fields of Study Supported by the AAS
In recognition of the genuine development challenges across all sectors in Laos, applications are encouraged from all fields of study, except for general business course and education management.
Applicants should select courses that align with their experience and qualifications or provide a strong justification for courses that represent a shift in career focus or direction.
Priority of study for Laos
For Intake 2023, the joint decision on the priority list below is based on the Laos COVID-19 Development Response Plan by the Australian Government and the list of priorities of the Lao Government.
- Health Security: public health, emergency operation management, communicable disease outbreak management, epidemiology, linkages between human and animal health, gender-based health care, medical technology, mental health and psychology;
- Stability: basic education, stability in food and water supply, water resource management, human rights, gender equality, disability and social inclusion;
- Economic Recovery: public financial management and economic governance, international trade, infrastructure management, information technology, engineering and logistics;
- Sustainable Environment: environmental management, disaster management, forest and wildlife conservation, forestry resource management and urban planning.
The governments of Australia and Laos regularly review these areas of study together and adjust the emphasis of the program. Detailed information on priority areas of study can be found at: https://www.